There are numerous factors that influence what will be the optimal length jump rope for you including your turning mechanics, where you hold your hands, you workout objective (e.g., speed, double unders, tricks), the length of your arms, and the length of your jump rope handles, to name a few. Below are some guidelines to get you started, but to ensure your rope is the proper length we encourage you to seek the guidance of a certified Punk Rope instructor or other rope jumping professional.
- Stand on the middle of the rope with one foot
- Pull the handles straight up making sure the rope is taut.
- For beginners, the top of the handles should reach close to the shoulder.
- For experienced jumpers, the top of the handles should reach the armpit or below.
- For double unders, the top of the handles should reach the nipple line.
- If the handles extend beyond your shoulders, your rope needs to be shortened.
- You can temporarily shorten many ropes by tying a knot below the handles.
- You can permanently shorten a Punk Rope jump rope using the snap lock mechanism.
- If in doubt, it’s better to get a rope that’s too long rather than too short.
Click below to watch a video on how to size the basic Punk Rope jump rope.
Click below to watch a video on how to size the Beast heavy rope.
Click below to watch a video on how to size the Sonic Boom speed rope.